Tag Archives: 联阳小区里面有那个吗

Government urged to let Women in White leave Cuba to receive prize in Strasbourg

by ,

first_imgNews RSF_en CubaAmericas Five representatives of the Women in White movement of wives and mothers of imprisoned dissidents are supposed to be in Strasbourg on 14 December to receive the European parliament’s Sakharov prize for human rights, but they still have not received the required permission to leave Cuba. Reporters Without Borders calls on the Cuban authorities to let them travel. Reporters Without Borders today called on the Cuban authorities to allow five representatives of the Women in White movement of wives and mothers of imprisoned dissidents to travel to Strasbourg to receive the European parliament’s Sakharov prize for human rights, of which they are this year’s co-winners along with Reporters Without Borders and Nigerian lawyer Hauwa Ibrahim.The five, Miriam Leiva, Laura Pollán, Loida Valdés, Berta Soler and Julia Núñez, should have boarded a flight from Havana on the night of 11 December but were unable to do so because they lacked the required official permission to leave Cuba. They still hope to be able to leave tonight in order to attend Wednesday’s award ceremony.“As a member of the United Nations, Cuba is required to respect the article of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights that says everyone has the right to leave any country, including their own, and to return to their country,” Reporters Without Borders said.“At the same time, the Women in White are already the winners of the Sakharov prize and their struggle had already achieved international recognition and legitimacy, so the regime is wrong to imagine it can hide this by preventing them from going to receive the prize,” the press freedom organisation added.Agence France-Presse (AFP) quoted Pollán as saying: “The scandal will be all the greater if the prize stays there. I think it is worse for the government not to let us go.”The Women White was formed in early 2004 by wives and mothers of the dissidents who were arrested and jailed in the crackdown of spring 2003. Of the five who are supposed to travel to Strasbourg, four are the wives of independent journalists who were arrested in this crackdown. Of the 27 journalists who were jailed at that time, 20 are still in prison.Leiva is the wife of Oscar Espinosa Chepe, who was released on 29 November 2004 after 20 months in prison. Pollán is the wife of Hector Maseda Gutiérrez of the Grupo de Trabajo Decoro news agency. Valdés is the wife of Alfredo Felipe Fuentes of the Sociedad Manuel Marquez Sterling journalism school, which was founded by Reporters Without Borders correspondent Ricardo González Alfonso, who is also in prison. Núñez is the wife of Juan Adolfo Fernández Sainz of the Patria news agency. Gutiérrez, Fuentes and Fernández are serving sentences of 20, 26 and 15 years respectively. RSF and Fundamedios welcome US asylum ruling in favor of Cuban journalist Serafin Moran Santiago October 15, 2020 Find out more to go further News Follow the news on Cuba Organisation CubaAmericas May 6, 2020 Find out more Help by sharing this information News December 12, 2005 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Government urged to let Women in White leave Cuba to receive prize in Strasbourg Cuba and its Decree Law 370: annihilating freedom of expression on the Internet New press freedom predators elected to UN Human Rights Council News Receive email alerts October 12, 2018 Find out morelast_img read more

Council must walk the walk on Askeaton Slí na Sláinte

by ,

first_imgNewsCommunityPoliticsCouncil must walk the walk on Askeaton Slí na SláinteBy Alan Jacques – February 9, 2019 812 Deputy Tom Neville on an overgrown section of the Askeaton Sl’ na Sl‡inteLIMERICK City and County Council has been told to uphold their commitment to the Outdoor Recreation Scheme and come up with the €29,620 required for the permanent surfacing of the Askeaton Slí na Sláinte walkway.Fine Gael TD Tom Neville explained that the Government recently approved funding of €118,480 for Askeaton Slí na Sláinte under the Outdoor Recreation Scheme through the Department of Rural and Community Development.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up A condition of the grant is that the final 20 per cent (€29,620) was to be funded through Limerick City and County Council’s own resources.“As the Council have applied for the Department grant, they must now fulfil their side of the equation and immediately sanction the 20 per cent funding to get this project going,” Deputy Neville told the Limerick Post.“I have been campaigning for a permanent surface for over two years, a period of which the people of Askeaton and the surrounding area have had too long to wait. They have had to put up with weeds moss and overgrown scrub year in and year out. There has been no works done on the walkway as the application for this permanent project has cited,” he claimed.Deputy Neville welcomed the local authority’s recognition of the project by their application to the department but he does not want to see the project delayed now by the Council themselves.“The power to get this project moving is now fully in Limerick City and County Council’s hands. The Government have recognised the validity of the project and the Council must now make it happen.“I am calling for an immediate start to the project with a timeline of works with an estimated completion date. The people of Askeaton and surrounding parishes have waited far too long for this to happen and its now imperative that its made happen. The Council must make this permanent solution and reality immediately.”A spokesman for the local authority said they were delighted the Department of Department of Rural and Community Development has decided to fund improvements to the Askeaton Slí na Sláinte route under the Outdoor Recreation Scheme.“Provisions are now being made in the council budgets to match funding totalling 20 per cent of the total cost as set out in the scheme,” he added. Advertisement Population of Mid West region increased by more than 3,000 in past year Limerick on Covid watch list Local backlash over Aer Lingus threat RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR WhatsApp Vicky calls for right to die with dignity Previous articleAughinish in line for new investmentNext articleEnergy generating pressure pads for ships leaves Limerick school on crest of wave Alan Jacqueshttp://www.limerickpost.ie center_img Print Linkedin TAGSCommunityNewspolitics Email Twitter Housing 37 Compulsory Purchase Orders issued as council takes action on derelict sites Shannon Airport braced for a devastating blow Facebooklast_img read more