85-year-old visually impaired Berbice woman raped

by ,

first_imgAn 85-year-old Corentyne, Berbice woman has been raped while in bed. Reports are the woman is also visually impaired and has difficulty hearing.Guyana Times was told that the woman, who was at the time in adult pampers, was left unconscious after the incident occurred sometime at about 04:00h Sunday morning.According to information received, the woman lives alone in her Corentyne home but one of her children lives close by. Following the incident, a relative said the perpetrator gained access to the house by breaking a window to the bedroom where the elderly woman was asleep. During the alleged attack, the woman lost consciousness.However, when she regained consciousness, she was heard screaming by her son who lives in close proximity.“I lie down on the bed; I cover from head to foot. I wasn’t asleep and suddenly somebody come and pull the coverlet and pull out the pampers and jump on me… ah feel like ah suffocating and ah say a can’t do that thing…,” the elderly woman recalled.The relative said the Police were contacted at about 06:00h on Sunday by the woman’s son. According to the woman’s son, when he went to the Police station, he was told the Police will respond promptly and he should go and wait on them. However, according to the young man, it was not until midday that the officers arrived.“She was in pain and really wanted to go to the hospital but I said the Police have to come first and they have to take her to the hospital because her eyes were swollen; blood was in her eyes. Her entire body was in pain. If we go to move her she start screaming because of the pain. The whole place was with blood; all on the pampers and on the bed,” he said.When the Police finally arrived, they took her to the Port Mourant Hospital where it was confirmed that she was sexually assaulted.He further related that when he inquired form the Police Officers at the hospital what was the next step, he was told that the matter is now in the hands of the Police and they were going to take it from there.According to the man, he made a request for the Police to commence their investigation at the scene of the crime and suggested that they could check for fingerprints.“They say everything is in the Police hands and they will do what is necessary, so ah say that I will keep updated. When I went the next day then they told me that I have to take my mother to the station in order for them to take a report.”The woman was eventually taken to the Police station on Tuesday where statements were taken from both the elderly woman and her son at the Whim Police Station.He said he left his telephone number with the officers and have not heard from them since. (Andrew Carmichael)last_img

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *