Barnier expressed regret the Commission had been unable to win full support for its “ambitious” transparency proposals for bonds and derivatives, but said the changes marked an important step “towards greater transparency in this area”.The French commissioner, who last year was forced to shelve proposals to impose capital requirements on pension funds through a revised IORP Directive, added: “Today’s agreement also strengthens the existing rules to ensure effective cooperation between authorities and harmonised administrative sanctions in order to detect and deter breaches of MiFID.”Laura Cox, financial services partner at consultancy PwC, said that while the proposals had taken a long time to agree – the revisions were first tabled by the Commission in October 2011 – it was only the beginning of the process for companies regulated by the directive.She noted that the achieved consensus allowed the European Securities and Markets Authority (ESMA) to begin the consultation process for the detail involved in implementing MiFID II.“The EU is coming more in line with the UK on investor protection measures, including a ban on inducements paid to independent financial advisers and an obligation to design investment products to meet the needs of specified groups of clients,” she added.She said that while much of the focus had been on “a handful of contentious issues”, MiFID II’s enhanced governance requirements would have a much wider impact.“MiFID II will affect all regulated firms in Europe, so firms need to begin assessing the full operational impact of these changes now,” she said. Political agreement on revising the European Commission’s Markets in Financial Instruments Directive (MiFID) is only the start of a prolonged process for affected firms, PwC has warned.The consultancy’s comments come the day the European Commission announced that the European Council, Parliament and the executive branch agreed on a number of revisions to the directive following prolonged negotiations.The internal markets commissioner Michel Barnier said in a statement that MiFID II would mean trading would need to shift to “multilateral and well-regulated” trading platforms.“Strict transparency rules will ensure dark trading of shares and other equity instruments that undermine efficient and fair price formation will no longer be allowed,” he said.
Ocean Tankers has been tied to an order for up to ten small chemical tankers at Chinese yard Fujian Mawei Shipbuilding Ltd.The order is comprised of six firm plus four optional 11,000 dwt chemical tankers slated for delivery in 2019 and 2020, according to Clarksons Platou Shipbroking.The price details of the deal have not been revealed.The company has been very busy with the expansion of its chemical product tanker fleet over the recent period having booked 11 small clean tankers at Chinese yards.Zhejiang Shenzhou is building six small product tankers slated for delivery in 2018, while Samjin Shipbuilding has been encharged with the construction of five newbuildings of 11,000 dwt.Three of the five chemical tankers are to be delivered by the end of the year, while the remaining two should join the company’s fleet in 2018.The Singapore-based shipping company has a fleet of over 100 oil tankers of various sizes, including four IMO2/chemical tankers type 2.The company’s fleet comprises 22 Medium Range tankers, 14 VLCC and Aframax LR2 tankers and 6 LR1 Panamaxes in addition to over 50 support vessels, Ocean Tankers’ website data shows.World Maritime News Staff
Supporters of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu protest outside Likud Party headquarters in Tel Aviv, Israel Nov. 22, 2019. REUTERS JERUSALEM – Israeli Prime MinisterBenjamin Netanyahu faced calls to resign over a corruption scandal on Friday,as senior government colleagues publicly declared support after some signs ofcracks in party loyalty. The 70-year-old conservative Likud partyleader denies all wrongdoing and denounced the indictment – the first against asitting Israeli prime minister – as an “attempted coup”. Netanyahu said he would not step downafter he was indicted on charges of bribery, fraud and breach of trust byIsrael’s attorney-general on Thursday night. But his ability to lead a country miredin political crisis, after two inconclusive elections this year that failed toproduce a government, is being questioned. (Reuters)
“Because of the new normal in conducting a committee hearing at sa dami ngayon ng naka-quarantine… it’s very difficult,” says House Deputy Speaker for Internal Affairs Neptali Gonzales II. ABS-CBN NEWS The NTC has received the House panel’s order on Monday noon and they were given 72 hours to explain or face punishment./PN House Deputy Speaker for Internal Affairs Neptali Gonzales II said on Monday the House members need to meet in person to discuss the franchise as it will be “very difficult” to tackle the issue via teleconferencing. “The act of the NTC constitutes undue interference and disobedience to the exercise of the power of the House of Representatives, and therefore, an affront to its dignity and an inexcusable disrespect of its authority,” Alvarez said.Alvarez noted the assurance of NTC Commissioner Gamaliel Cordoba during a House hearing in March that the commission will issue a provisional authority to allow the media company to temporarily continue broadcasting after its legislative franchise expires on May 4. The National Telecommunications Commission (NTC) has earlier told lawmakers it would allow ABS-CBN to operate provisionally even with an expired license, while the House had yet to tackle the bills but they ordered the media outfit to stop its broadcast operations last week due to its expired license. “Because of the new normal in conducting a committee hearing at sa dami ngayon ng naka-quarantine… it’s very difficult,” Gonzales said. “‘Di ko malalaman kung kakayanin ng [online] Zoom meeting ‘yon because of the various issues involved.”ABS-CBN’s license to operate has expired last May 4 while bills for its renewal, some filed in 2016, stalled in Congress. The House Committee on Legislative Franchises, meanwhile, has ordered the NTC to explain its decision directing ABS-CBN Corporation to shut down its broadcast operations. MANILA – The House of Representatives will have a hard time tackling bills seeking to grant ABS-CBN a new franchise while several areas were still under enhanced community quarantine due to coronavirus disease pandemic. House panel chair Franz Alvarez demanded that NTC officials explain why they shouldn’t be held in contempt for not keeping their word to congressmen that the commission will give ABS-CBN a temporary license to operate.
Freedom of expression and public health should be tightly balanced in this time of the pandemic, he added. President Rodrigo Duterte is to physically deliver his fifth SONA at the Batasang Pambansa in Quezon City on Monday, July 27. “PRO-6 is in full alert status and uniformed personnel will be deployed in all places of convergence to maintain orderliness and to ensure that health protocols are being observed,” Gorero said. Western Visayas remains under “medium risk” modified general community quarantine until the end of the month. ILOILO City – Instead of gathering to hold protest actions, the Police Regional Office (PRO) 6 urged protesters to air their grievances for President Rodrigo Duterte’s fifth State of the Nation Address (SONA) online. Gorero said that PRO-6 will activate task group “SONA 2020” in coordination with other concerned government agencies. Police Colonel Gilbert Gorero, PRO-6 spokesperson, made the appeal as he noted the existing guidelines of the government’s coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) task force limiting mass gatherings amid the pandemic. A member of a religious group holds a placard expressing support for press freedom during a protest caravan in Iloilo City on July 24. Police authorities are urging protesters to air their grievances for President Rodrigo Duterte’s fifth State of the Nation Address trough social media. IAN PAUL CORDERO/PN “We encourage protesters to use social media as an alternative venue subject to the limitations of laws,” said Gorero. The Philippine National Police also earlier urged groups to stage their protests online. During Duterte’s fifth SONA, only a maximum of 50 people will be allowed inside the venue./PN
Area Boys Basketball Sectional ScoresWednesday (2-28)Class 3A-Sectional 29 @ GreensburgFranklin County 47 Madison 34Lawernceburg 41 South Dearborn 29Class 1A-Sectional 60 @ Southwestern ShelbyMorristown 68 Waldron 35Hauser 69 Rising Sun 51
While a point at home to title-chasing Manchester City will guarantee a return to European football next season it would almost certainly end their already-slim top-four challenge. Arsenal, who play Sunday, are four points ahead with a superior but not insurmountable goal difference advantage but Arsene Wenger’s side need to drop four points in their last two matches for Everton to stand a chance of catching them. The Toffees look like being the unlucky losers as their points tally of 69 would have qualified them for the Champions League in seven of the last 11 seasons. But that does not mean Martinez is conceding defeat or happy to settle for a point which will secure a Europa League spot. “We don’t look at it that way. We have 69 points and we want to beat that. We don’t take it lightly,” he said. “We need six points because I still think 75 points will be very much an exceptional figure, wherever it takes you. “The only thing you can control in football is what you can do. “Seventy-five points in the last three seasons would have got you in the top three. “We are not a team who are happy just to do enough, that is not in our nature. ” City will arrive knowing they almost certainly need all three points to retain their narrow edge over Liverpool in the title race. Everton manager Roberto Martinez has still not given up hope of sneaking into the Champions League as his side enter the last-chance saloon. But Everton have won their last four matches at home to City and have lost only twice in the league at Goodison Park since December 30 2012. Martinez takes great confidence from that and wants his side to give the fans a good send off in the final home game of what has been a successful season of transition after the departure of David Moyes last summer. “This is one of those glamorous games you keep in your memory forever,” he added. “We have been outstanding in the last few fixtures at home and you look at (wins against) similar teams like Arsenal and Manchester United and we need to carry on at the same level. “It is important we give our fans a proper send off and make it a performance to remember. “It is a very easy game to approach from our point of view. “The last home fixture is always a special fixture so in that respect it is very easy – we are fully focused on hosting a really important game. ” Playmaker David Silva could return for title favourites Manchester City. The Spaniard missed last weekend’s win at Crystal Palace after being carried off on a stretcher with an ankle injury in the previous game against West Brom. The 28-year-old has now recovered and his availability gives City a lift ahead of the final week of the season. Manager Manuel Pellegrini said: “David is a very important player for us. He will be in the squad list. “The only player we have injured is Jesus Navas. All the rest of the squad are fit.” Winger Navas has missed the last three games with an ankle injury. City, in third, trail leaders Liverpool by three points but still have three games to play as opposed to their rivals’ two – and have a superior goal difference. They play the first of them at Goodison Park this weekend before concluding their campaign with home matches against Aston Villa and West Ham. Pellegrini expects Everton, who still have an outside chance of qualifying for the Champions League, to provide tough opposition. Pellegrini said: “I think Everton at any stage of the season will always be a difficult team. They play very well, Roberto (Martinez) is doing a very good job there, the same way he did before at Wigan. “He is playing for Champions League, Europa League. “We don’t expect anything at Everton. We’re sure we are going to have a very tough game there.” Victory for Everton could hand the title initiative to their fiercest rivals Liverpool – something their fans may not relish – but Pellegrini does not think that will affect the players’ mentality. He said: “The feeling outside will not decide the match. I think the Everton players will try to win the game.” Pellegrini added that defender Matija Nastasic is back in full training after three months out with a knee injury but is not match-fit. He said: “Nastasic is working with the squad but he is not able to play in this moment. He’s not injured any more.” Press Association
A mother was arrested after sharing footage of high school students fighting on social media.Maegan Adkins-Barras says her son, Dylan, is a student at Acadiana High School in Lafayette, Louisiana, and found the video of the fight on social media.Adkins-Barras was so upset at what she saw that she posted the video on Facebook, writing, “This should not be happening. Why do we have to worry so much about our kids at school?”When she attended a school meeting the next day, she was taken to jail and charged with the unlawful posting of criminal activity for notoriety and publicity.Police later dropped the charge, and the Louisiana mother plans to sue for false arrest.
(CMC) – Cricket Australia has pencilled West Indies into its summer programme and say officials are confident they can pull off the itinerary amidst the threat posed by the COVID-19 global pandemic.In the itinerary released Thursday, Cricket Australia has scheduled the Windies for three Twenty20 Internationals from October 4 to 9, with India to follow immediately afterwards in another three-match series.West Indies have been named in Australia’s summer schedule.The games represent part of Australia’s preparation for the T20 World Cup set to bowl off here, from October 18 to November 15, but which remains under a cloud due to the coronavirus outbreak.Cricket Australia chief executive, Kevin Roberts, said the governing body had been encouraged by the way authorities here had managed the pandemic.“While acknowledging the difficulty in navigating a global pandemic, we are nonetheless encouraged by the progress Australia is making in combatting the coronavirus and the positive impact that is having on our ability to host an exciting summer of cricket in 2020-21,” Roberts said.“We know that circumstances or events beyond our control could mean that the final schedule potentially may look different to the one released today, but we’ll be doing everything we can to get as much international cricket in as possible this summer. We will communicate any changes to the schedule if or when they are required.”No cricket has been staged globally in nearly three months after governments across the world scrambled to lock down their respective borders to mitigate against the spread of the virus.Australia was among the first countries to initiate lockdowns back in March and Prime Minister Scott Morrison said this week the borders were unlikely to reopen “anytime soon”.The country has recorded 7 155 infections and 103 deaths.Roberts said Cricket Australia’s summer programme, which also includes a one-day series against Zimbabwe in August and a women’s one-day and T20 series against neighbouring New Zealand in September/October, would only go ahead once the environment remained safe.“We are engaged in ongoing discussions with federal and state governments, our venues and the touring nations, to continually understand and monitor the situation in front of us, which is evolving every day,” he explained.“We’ll continue to act in accordance with public health advice and government protocols to ensure the safety of the public, players and support staff.”
Bayelsa Queens technical adviser, Moses Aduku has said his side will end their almost a decade search for silverware at the 2017/18 Nigeria Women Premier League (NWPL) Super 4 competition.The Restoration Girls came quite close to nip the prized title at the immediate past edition in Benin City but left it sorely to top-flights, Nasarawa Amazons.The Yenagoa landladies will compete for the 2018 elite annual football showpiece alongside title holders, Nasarawa Amazons, Sunshine Queens and Aiteo Cup winners, Rivers Angels. The NWPL Super 4 competition is billed to hold at the mainbowl of Agege Stadium in Lagos from January 24 – 27.Aduku said his side are 100% primed for the title and cannot afford to wait a minute longer to sip from the coveted trophy.“Bayelsa Queens have played Super 6 in the past without a trophy to show for it but this time I want to win the 2018 NWPL Super 4 trophy.“My earnest desire is to compensate for the side’s almost a decade waiting for a trophy as well as to say thank you to the government and good people of Bayelsa state for their patience and undying support for the side.“We cannot continue to play second fiddle to any side even though we quite appreciate the stiff challenge that awaits us in Lagos.“The opponents are good sides and champions, too in their own right but I just think that the NWPL Super 4 title is right there in Lagos waiting for us to win or lose.“And I can tell you we are not ready to compromise or negotiate on the title this time around.“We came close to winning the title in the immediate past edition in Benin City but still allowed it to slip off our hands.“I think we have corrected the mistakes that cheated us of the title in the past and with the level of preparation and quality of players in our midst we will surely get it right in Lagos.“We will not suffer any disadvantage in terms of support from the fans as we have many Bayelsans resident in Lagos who will troop out enmasse to drum support for us.“Besides, our pattern and style of play is a sure crowd puller couple with some game winners in our midst,” said the former Nigerian junior international to NWFL Media.Bayelsa Queens will open their NWPL Super 4 title chase with a crunch clash against newcomers, Sunshine Queens on Friday at the ‘Soccer Temple’ (Agege Stadium in Lagos).A win for the Yenagoa side will see the side progress to the final to confront the winners between champions, Nasarawa Amazons and Aiteo Cup winners, Rivers Angels on Sunday at same venue.However, defeat for the Yenagoa side will condemn them to play the third place match with the losers of the tie involving the Al-Makura Girls and Jewel of Rivers.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram